Saturday, March 14, 2009

Graduation favor box filled with gold

Well, its not in a pot actually but it does look rich doesn't it. It makes me think of St. Patrick's day. It is for a graduation swap I did. My DD colors are black and gold. She will be graduating May o9 from Wayne State College, Wayne NE I'm so excited to see what the other ladies have made for their party favors. This was inspired by a what I call a "giant lipstick box" I saw on http://www.reneevs.blogspot.com/ She called it a Christmas treat box I think.
Start with CS 8 1/2" X 5 1/2". DP will be cut at 1"X5 1/2 " if you choose to use that on your project. I did samples of both. Your CS should be laid with the short side up and scored at1/2, 1 3/4 , 3, 4 1/4, now turn your CS to score the other way. Score at1/2, 1 3/4, and all the way over to 7 1/4. Now turn your box back to the first direction you scored and trim away from the 1/2 inch scored side (which should be on your left)all but the 4th panel. this becomes the little lip you tuck into close your box. You can make a slit on each square and trim the squares at a very slight angle to help them fold in easier. On your little tab, use a corner rounder and take those points off. Cut away the little 1/2 X 1" on both ends. You don't need them they only add bulk later. Trim in to the first score line on the other end too. Either attach your DP or stamp images to your favor box. The original has a window cut out and acetate mounted on the inside but I found this to just be extra steps and didn't care if they could see inside. If it was for a wedding favor this option might class it up especially if you put fancy Jordon almonds in the box. Ok, I hope this is clear, now you can fold your box. Put sticky strip along the 1/2" edge and assemble your box. Fif you've used DP then be careful to line up the DP strip so they match up when you fold it. The side with a tab is your top. Put some glue or sticky strip on the bottom to seal it too. You can trim a smidge off your other panels to make it fit nicely if you desire , I did and it made it much easier. Put what ever goodies you want and bless your friends with a little gift. I decided to put reese's pbc in mine. To make it even more fun and to express our appreciation for support, friendship, and thanks I stamped sentiments onto river rock which matched the DP, and more mustard, white cardstock and punched them out and mounted them onto the top. SU stamp sets used:Its all good, smorgasborders, taggers dozen. DP:the Paper Studio Gold Wedding stripes, I added 09 to the paper with a gold pen. On one box I used some purple for a purple and gold example. Mix it up to match your school colors.
Somehow I'll figure this all out but for now my pictures got out of order so some are up above. Thanks for your patience while I learn by trial and error.

Posted by Picasa

No comments :